Recycle Coach

EPPD information re. assistance for Autism/Special Needs individuals

The Elmwood Park Police Department would like to better serve the Autistic/Special Needs community. To further assist this community, we are asking parents/guardians and caretakers of Autistic/Special Needs individuals to complete the below downloadable Emergency Information Form. This form will enhance police officers' communication and response skills. The completed form will be entered into our computer database, allowing responding police officers to assess the information you have provided on the emergency form. This will provide the officer with a better understanding of how to handle the situation. Our goal is to provide effective and safe outcomes with every call we handlek and these forms will help us achieve that goal.The Elmwood Park Police Department would like to better serve the Autistic/Special Needs community. To further assist this community, we are asking parents/guardians and caretakers of Autistic/Special Needs individuals to complete the below downloadable Emergency Information Form. This form will enhance police officers' communication and response skills. The completed form will be entered into our computer database, allowing responding police officers to assess the information you have provided on the emergency form. This will provide the officer with a better understanding of how to handle the situation. Our goal is to provide effective and safe outcomes with every call we handlek and these forms will help us achieve that goal.

All information you provide will only be entered into our police database and will be strictly confidential. We also would like to recomment submitting a photograph of the person on the form so that we could better identify someone in the event that they went missing. Please return the Emergency Information Form at your earliest convenience to the Records Bureau of the Elmwood Park Police Department. Thank you for helping us assist the Autistic/Special Needs citizens in our community.

~ Chief Michael Foligno

Elmwood Park Volunteer Ambulance Corps

Elmwood Park Volunteer Ambulance CorpsPresident: Peter Pias
Address: 236 Falmouth Avenue, Elmwood Park, NJ 07407
Phone - Non-Emergency: 201-796-8077

The Elmwood Park Volunteer Ambulance Corps supplies emergency medical service free of charge to the residents of Elmwood Park and surrounding communities. All members are volunteers and fully certified emergency medical technicians. Membership is currently low and the Corps is seeking additional volunteers. To offer assistance, call 201-796-8077.

Elmwood Park Police Department

Police DepartmentChief of Police: Michael Foligno
Patrol Commander: Captain Frank Thorpe
Detective Commander: Captain Marc D'Amore
Operations Division: Captain Michael Kassai
Address: Municipal Building, 182 Market Street, Elmwood Park, NJ 07407
Phone - Non-Emergency: 201-796-0700
Fax: 201-796-0883
Chief's Phone: 201-796-0764
Chief's E-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.


Elmwood Park Police Department

The Elmwood Park Police Department is proud to provide enforcement, safety, security and assistance to the community. The Police Department consists of two divisions, the patrol and the investigative divisions.

In addition, the Police Department has several specialized units:

  • Motorcycle Patrol
  • Community Relations
  • Traffic Safety
  • Heavy Truck Enforcement
  • Narcotics Enforcement
  • Juvenile
  • Warrants
  • Firearms Licensing
  • Liquor Licensing
  • Terrorism Taskforce Liaison
  • Bicycle Patrol
  • Honor Guard

Officers will reach out to the residents through daily contacts as well as planned events.

Police Officers will provide free security surveys to residents concerned with securing their homes.

To protect our children, fingerprinting and identification kits are provided to our residents upon request.

Police Department Structure

  • Chief of Police
  • Patrol Division
    • Motorcycle Unit
      • Radar Enforcement
    • Bicycle Unit
    • Power Shift
    • Heavy Truck Enforcement Unit
    • Records
      • Licensing
    • Dispatching/911
  • Investigative Division
    • Internal Affairs
    • Criminal Investigations
    • Narcotics Enforcement/Street Crimes Unit

Record Room Hours (effective January 2, 2019)

Mon-Thurs: 9AM-1PM, 4PM-9PM
Fri: 9AM-1PM
Alternate Fridays eff. 1/4/19: 4PM-9PM
Alternate Saturdays eff. 1/4/19: 8AM-1PM

Garage Sales: $10
Dumpster Permits: $50
Check or money order ONLY, payable to "Borough of Elmwood Park"

Reverse 911 Notifications

Swift911 signup button

In our efforts to provide more reliable communications with residents and businesses in the borough, we have implemented Swiftreach Networks, Inc. as our emergency notification service provider.

Swift911™ in its simplest form is a system that makes phone calls to specific people or areas in the event of an emergency or for sharing important information. All the calls you receive will have the Caller ID of "Elmwood Park Borough" or "Elmwood Park Police Department".

If you are not receiving these calls, please click the above graphic to "Add/Remove Yourself", which will direct you to a form to fill out to add or update your contact information. You may also remove yourself from our lists.

Receive emergency e-mail & text notifications on your mobile device

Receive community information instantly! Sign up at today! It's quick, easy and secure.


Early Warning System

Garage Sales

Planning a private garage sale? You must submit an application and obtain a permit at the Police Department. When a permit is issued, you will receive signs to post. These are the only signs that can be posted and must be removed after the sale.

Firearms Purchaser I.D. Card / Handgun Purchase Permit

Records Requests

Records: George Luke
Address: Municipal Building, 182 Market Street, Elmwood Park, NJ 07407
Phone: 201-796-1457 Ext. 113
Fax: 201-794-2348

Fees & Procedures

All applications are located in the Police Department lobby or at the Main Police Desk; some may be available for downloading on this site. Fees are payable by Check or Money Order Only, No Cash will be accepted.  All checks are to be made payable to the Borough of Elmwood Park. Temporary Handicapped Parking Permits may be obtained from the Chief's Secretary. Reports are not faxed.

A number of application forms and documents available from the Police Department are available for download here.

Accident Reports: (2 copies) $1.00
By mail: self-addressed stamped envelope $5.00

All Other Reports: $1.00

Garage Sales: $10.00 (two sales allowed per year)

Letter of Good Conduct: $15.00

Solicitor's Permit: $25.00 check or money order only, payable to "Borough of Elmwood Park". Need two color passport-type photos; $25.00 certified check or money order made payable to "Division of State Police - SBI"; and need to contact the Detective Bureau to have fingerprints taken. Finger prints to be completed by MorphoTrak Application #NJAPS2.

Peddler's Permit: $50.00  check or money order only, payable to "Borough of Elmwood Park". Need two color passport-type photos; $25.00 certified check or money order made payable to "Division of State Police - SBI"; and need to contact the Detective Bureau to have fingerprints taken. Finger prints to be completed by MorphoTrak Application #NJAPS2.

Discoveries: $0.75 per page/first 10 pages, $0.50 per page/next 10 pages, $0.25 per page thereafter; $0.25 mailing charge

Dumpster Permits: $50.00. Must provide Certificate of Insurance naming Borough of Elmwood Park as additional insured.

Fees are payable by check or money order only; NO CASH will be accepted.

Police Department Downloads

Where in Elmwood Park is it?

182 Market Street, Elmwood Park, NJ

Senior Citizen Services

seniors playing bingoDirector: Christine Cobb
Address: Senior Center, 500 Boulevard, Elmwood Park, NJ 07407
Phone: 201-796-1457 x305
Fax: 201-475-9403
Hours: Mon-Fri 8am-3:30pm

The Senior Center is in the Recreation Complex at the corner of Boulevard and Market Street. It is open to all Bergen County seniors 60 years of age and over.

A nutritionally balanced lunch is served Monday – Friday at 11:30 a.m. for a suggested donation of $1.25 (advance reservations required). A free continental breakfast is served daily.

A variety of educational and social programs are also offered. Check the monthly calendar (available at the Center) for a schedule of classes, programs,trips and events. Some classes include: exercise (low and moderate impact), yoga, ceramics and dance.

The center is open weekdays from 8:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., and all seniors are invited to join in. Call 201-796-3342 for more information.

Elmwood Park also has a few Senior Clubs. For name and location of meetings, please call the Mayor’s office: 201-796-1833.

Senior Citizen Downloads

Where in Elmwood Park is it?

500 Boulevard

Recreation Department

Recreation ComplexRecreation Director: Donna Puglisi 
Address: Recreation Complex, 500 Boulevard, Elmwood Park, NJ 07407
Phone: 201-796-1457 x350
Fax: 201-475-9495
Hours: Mon-Fri 8:30am-4:30pm

For use of the Recreation Complex, a registration fee will be charged to members, who will receive a photo I.D. card that they must present when entering the building. This card will entitle the member to the use of the weight room and gym when available. An adult must accompany a child under the age of 12 (both must have ID cards) when not participating in an adult-supervised activity.

If there are any activities in which you are interested but do not appear, please inform the Recreation Department at 201-796-1457 ext. 350.

Programs & Activities

The Recreation Complex, located on the corner of Mola Boulevard and Market Street, has a gymnasium, weight room, a nutrition center and senior lounge.

Varied activities are provided by the Recreation Department for young residents, including basketball, soccer, floor hockey and crafts classes.

From September through June there is an ongoing before and after care program, and in the summer a day camp program and after camp program plus a Water Spray Park for summer enjoyment.

The Recreation Department also conducts several holiday events, which include an Easter Egg Hunt held on Boro field before Easter. Prizes are awarded to those finding a special egg.

Halloween Contest is conducted for children in grades K-5. The contest is held in the Rec. Complex gym. Candy is given to all children wearing costumes. Special prizes will be awarded for outstanding costumes.

At Holiday time the Recreation Department sponsors a visit from Santa along with a Holiday tree lighting ceremony. Light refreshments are served.

Community Day festival will be held in June (date to be announced), and will feature a DJ, food and rides for the children. All residents are welcome.

For more information regarding programs and schedule, call 201-796-1457 ext. 350.

Recreation Department Downloads

Online Registration for Recreation Programs

You can now sign up for Elmwood Park Recreation programs at Community Pass: CLICK HERE.

Recreation Membership:
Adults $60
Students $40
Seniors $40
Please check Community Pass for Sports Programs


Where in Elmwood Park is it?

500 Boulevard

Recreation Complex

Recreation Bus

Recreation Hut

Health Department & Vital Statistics

Health DepartmentHealth Officer: Bergen County Health Officer Hansel Asmar
Registrar: Marlene DiStefano
Address: Municipal Building, 182 Market Street, Elmwood Park, NJ 07407
Phone: 201-796-1457 x600
E-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Hours: Mon-Fri, 9am-4:30pm


The Health Department provides numerous services for residents.

  • Maintenance of vital statistics records and Registrar services. This includes birth, marriage and death certificates, burial permits, marriage licenses.
  • Animal bite investigations and community rabies control activities
  • Dog and cat licensing
  • Communicable disease investigations
  • Illness outbreak investigations
  • Flu immunizations for older adults
  • Audits of school immunization records
  • Health Promotion – Education Services: poison and injury prevention, alcohol and drug abuse, tobacco use and prevention, nutrition, AIDS, disease prevention. Services are extended to members of general public, community groups, schools, public events and work sites.
  • Environmental complaint investigations
  • Inspection of restaurants, cafeterias, food markets

For more information on these or other programs offered by the Health Department, call 201-796-1457 Ext. 604.

New Jersey Public Health Codes

Social Security Field Office Information - Effective August 1, 2014

As result of the upcoming Field Office Service Changes by the Social Security Administration, the possession of the original Social Security card is a verification of your Social Security number. Beginning August 1, 2014 the Social Security office will no longer issue Social Security number printouts in the field offices, nor will the Social Security office be able to complete any letters verifying Social Security Numbers. Individuals, who need proof of their Social Security number and cannot find their card, will need to apply for a replacement card.

To assist customers, there is a wealth of information and online service options available on our website at Or you can call toll-free number, 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778), and ask for helpful publications, such as:

Dangers facing college freshman (from the NJ Poison Information & Education System)

Family health resource & referral information

Poison Control

In the event of a poison emergency, you can call the NJ Poison Control Hotline: 1-800-222-1222.

Recent Recalls

New Jersey Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants & Children

Dog & Cat Licensing and Waste Removal

  • All Elmwood Park dogs and cats must have a current pet license and current rabies immunizations. Puppies and kittens need a municipal license beginning at 6 months old. Late fees will apply beginning February 1st.
  • Remember to clean up after your dog and dispose of the waste. You must carry a container to pick up waste. A summons will be issued for failing to do so.

Proper waste disposal following your cat’s RIT procedure

After your cat has received Radioactive Iodine Therapy (RIT), your pet will emit a small amount of radiation. The radioactive iodine is useful in treating the condition that your veterinarian has diagnosed in your cat. Caution should be taken in disposing of products that may contain trace amounts of this radioactive substance.

The radioactive iodine will exit the cat’s body by way of the urine and feces. Any excrement, vomit or soiled kitty litter should be disposed of carefully.

The following is the method for safe handling and disposing of your cat’s waste that may contain trace amounts of radiation. This is to ensure that the material will not enter the environment before it is at a safe level.

  • Upon returning home from the veterinarian’s office, provide a clean litter box with a disposable liner – a plastic garbage bag works well, and fill with clumping (scoopable) litter.
  • Place litter box in an area away from humans and other animals.
  • Every day scoop out the excrement and place it in a sealed container. Self sealing food storage bags work well.
  • Place them in a tightly covered container – a large plastic food storage container works well.
  • Store tightly covered in an outdoor shed or garage away from the house.
  • Use gloves when scooping the litter and while cleaning up around the litter box. The same procedure should be used for vomit at this time.
  • Replace litter as needed.
  • Do not place in your regular garbage.
  • Your veterinarian will tell you how long to store this litter and when it can be safely disposed of and how long your cat may emit radiation and other after care instructions.

Medical Radioiodine Waste Disposal for Patients

Every year more than 40,000 people are diagnosed with thyroid disease which treatment may involve radioactive iodine- 131. It concentrates in the thyroid, but slight amounts are excreted in saliva, sweat, stool, urine and blood.

If you have received I-131 treatment from your healthcare provider, there are safety measures that you should be aware of to dispose of waste that may contain trace amounts of I-131. By following these guidelines and following your healthcare provider’s instructions, you will protect your loved ones and the radioactive material will not enter the environment before it is safe.

Any personal care, disposable items such as diapers, wipes and sanitary products that would be used to absorb body fluids should be disposed of as follows.

  • Each soiled product that will be thrown away should be placed in a self sealing plastic bag.
  • This bag should then be placed in a tightly covered, storage container, such as a large plastic storage box.
  • Store the container in a secure area away from pets and family members.
  • Your healthcare provider will tell you how long to hold the discarded items and can tell you about disposal methods.
  • Call your healthcare provider if you require additional information concerning safe disposal of personal care items.
  • Please do not place into household garbage.

There have been instances reported by the NRC where garbage trucks filled with household garbage and such medical waste, have set off radiation detectors at landfills. The trucks then must be emptied and searched for source of the radiation.

Health Department Downloads


Where in Elmwood Park is it?

182 Market Street, Elmwood Park, NJ

Health Services & Programs

Health ServicesFree Blood Pressure Clinic and Health Consultation

The Adult Health Consultation program will be held on the 3rd Tuesday of each month, starting date TBA.

  • 9:30 AM to 11:30 AM at the Elmwood Park Senior Center located on Market Street and Boulevard.
  • You will have an individual appointment with our Nurse.
  • No appointments are necessary. Walk- in.
  • The program is open to all adults over the age of 18.
  • Residents of Elmwood Park and Lodi are welcome to participate.
  • Membership is not required at the Senior Center.

For further information, please call (551) 996-2038.

Dog & Cat Licenses

All Elmwood Park dogs and cats over 6 months old must be currently licensed by the Health Department for the current year The owners of dogs and cats found to be unlicensed will be issued summonses.

Retail Food Establishments

NJ State Sanitary Code requires all persons in charge of a food establishment to obtain a Manager's Food Handler Certificate. Elmwood Park ordinance requires all full-time and all part-time employees to have a basic food handler certificate.

Other Health Department Activities

  • Dog and cat licensing (January every year)
  • Stray animal control including kennel facilities; Animal Control Services are provided contractually with Bergen County Animal Shelter & Adoption Center, Teterboro, NJH 201-229-4600.
  • Rabies immunization clinics for dogs and cats - date TBD
  • Communicable disease investigation
  • Illness outbreak investigation
  • Adult health counseling (3rd Tuesdays, 9am-11am)
    • Blood pressure screening, nutrition information
  • Tuberculosis control
    • Testing, contact investigation
  • Environmental lead investigations
  • Cancer counseling services
    • Cervical, breast, prostate, skin
  • Audits of school immunization records
  • Health promotion/education services
    • Poison and injury prevention, alcohol and drug abuse, tobacco use and prevention, nutrition, AIDS, disease prevention, public events
  • Inspections of youth camps
  • Inspections of restaurants, cafeterias and food markets
  • Inspections of pet shops
  • Inspection of beauty salons, nail salons, and barber shops
  • Enforcement of housing codes concerning heat and hot water
  • Enforcement of public health nuisance and environmental protection codes
    • Control of vermin, noxious weeds, animal nuisances, solid waste, water pollution, air pollution, noise, hazardous materials and hazardous waste
  • Community health planning
  • Bioterrorism and all hazards preparedness, planning and response

Health Department Downloads


Where in Elmwood Park is it?

182 Market Street, Elmwood Park, NJ

Marriage Licenses

Health DepartmentThere are downloadable brochures and/or documents available online regarding marriage licenses - please visit to access a REG-77 (Marriage Application). Please do not fill out page two as that should be done in the presence of the Registrar.

Appointments are required for the application process. Appointments are taken between the hours of 9:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. Monday through Friday. Please call 201-796-1457 ext. 600 to make an appointment.

What you should bring with you when you apply for your marriage license

  1. If you are divorced or have had your marriage annulled, bring the divorce decree or the civil annulment documents.
  2. Death certificate, if your former spouse is deceased.
  3. A copy of your birth certificate, drivers license, passport or state I.D.
  4. Proof of your residency.
  5. Your social security card or social security number, as per NJSA 37:1-17.
  6. A witness (18 years or older) who knows both applicants.
  7. A $28.00 fee is due and payable by cash, check, or money order only.
  8. The date of the ceremony along with the person's name and address who is officiating the ceremony is also needed at the time of the application process.

Your social security number is not subject to Right to Know laws and will be kept confidential.

If any documents are in a foreign language they must be accompanied by an English translation.

Where application shall be made:

  • If the applicants are residents of New Jersey, they can apply in the municipality where either one resides.
  • If neither are residents of New Jersey, the application is to be taken in the municipality where the marriage is to be performed.

Do not sign the marriage application prior to going to the Municipal Registrar. You must sign the application, while under oath, in the presence of the issuing authority.

There is a 72 hour waiting period between the filing of the application and the issuance of the license. This 72-hour waiting period begins at the time the application is filed with the Local Registrar.

The marriage application is valid for six months from the date accepted, unless the registrar has granted prior approval to extend the validity of the application to a maximum of one year. Only one marriage license may be granted from a marriage application, if the license expires prior to being used a new application must be made. The only exception to this requirement is in the case where a civil and religious ceremony are to be performed on the same day. In this case, photocopy the marriage application marking one "A" and one "B", issue the corresponding marriages licenses, marking them "A" and "B" as well.

Health Department Downloads


Where in Elmwood Park is it?

182 Market Street, Elmwood Park, NJ

Flu Pandemic

view of Elmwood ParkThere are a number of downloadable brochures and documents available on this site regarding pandemic flu: please visit the Health Department Forms page.

Key Facts

An influenza pandemic is a global outbreak that occurs when a new virus appears in humans that can cause serious illness and spread easily from person to person. Three major pandemics occurred in the 20th century and no one knows for sure when the next pandemic will happen. There are state and federal plans to address the complex issues of influenza pandemic and its potential impact in New Jersey.

Get Flu Ready

Get ready now for an influenza pandemic and other emergencies. During a pandemic, stores may be low or out of stock on food and other items you need every day. Get prepared and stock up now. Doing so will help you be ready for an influenza pandemic and other types of emergencies, like power outages or hurricanes. There are several things you can do to "Get Flu Ready".

  • Store a two-week supply of water and food.
  • Check prescription drugs. Make sure you have an extra two-week supply at home.
  • Keep non-prescription drugs and other health supplies on hand, including a first aid kit, pain relievers, stomach remedies, cough and cold medicines, and fluids with electrolytes and vitamins.
  • Talk with family members and loved ones about how they would be cared for if they got sick. What will you need to take care of them at home?
  • Volunteer with local groups to prepare and assist with emergency response.
  • Get involved in your community as it works to prepare for an influenza pandemic.

Now is a good time to practice healthy hygiene habits. These steps will limit the spread of germs and prevent infection.

  • Wash your hands frequently with soap and water. If soap and water are not available, use alcohol-based hand cleaner.
  • If possible, stay away from people who are sick.
  • Cover coughs and sneezes with tissues. Throw tissues away immediately. Cough or sneeze into your sleeve, not your hands.
  • If you are sick, stay home from work or school.

Planning Checklist for Families & Individuals

You can prepare for an influenza pandemic now. You should know both the magnitude of what can happen during a pandemic outbreak and what actions you can take to help lessen the impact of an influenza pandemic on you and your family. This checklist will help you gather the information and resources you may need in case of a flu pandemic.

1. To plan for a pandemic:

  • Store a supply of water and food. During a pandemic, if you cannot get to a store, or if stores are out of supplies, it will be important for you to have extra supplies on hand. This can be useful in other types of emergencies, such as power outages and disasters.
  • Have any nonprescription drugs and other health supplies on hand, including pain relievers, stomach remedies, cough and cold medicines, fluids with electrolytes, and vitamins.
  • Talk with family members and loved ones about how they would be cared for if they got sick, or what will be needed to care for them in your home.
  • Volunteer with local groups to prepare and assist with emergency response.
  • Get involved in your community as it works to prepare for an influenza pandemic.

2. To limit the spread of germs and prevent infection:

  • Teach your children to wash hands frequently with soap and water, and model the correct behavior.
  • Teach your children to cover coughs and sneezes with tissues, and be sure to model that behavior.
  • Teach your children to stay away from others as much as possible if they are sick. Stay home from work and school if sick.

3. Items to have on hand for an extended stay at home:

Examples of food and non-perishables

  • Ready-to-eat canned meats, fruits, vegetables, and soups
  • Protein or fruit bars
  • Dry cereal or granola
  • Peanut butter or nuts
  • Dried fruit
  • Crackers
  • Canned juices
  • Bottled water
  • Canned or jarred baby food and formula
  • Pet food

Examples of medical, health, and emergency supplies

  • Prescribed medical supplie such as glucose and blood-pressure monitoring equipment
  • Soap and water, or alcohol-based hand wash
  • Medicines for fever, such as acetaminophen or ibuprofen
  • Thermometer
  • Anti-diarrheal medication
  • Vitamins
  • Fluids with electrolytes
  • Cleansing agent/soap
  • Flashlight
  • Batteries
  • Portable radio
  • Manual can opener
  • Garbage bags
  • Tissues, toilet paper, disposable diapers

Additional Resources

For further information:

Flu Pandemic Downloads


Where in Elmwood Park is it?

182 Market Street, Elmwood Park, NJ

Fire Prevention Bureau

Fire Prevention BureauFire Official: Steven Kochik
Address: Municipal Building, 182 Market Street, Elmwood Park, NJ 07407
Phone: 201-796-1457 x221
E-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Hours: Mon-Fri, 8:30am-12pm


To help ensure the safety of all residents and property, there are fire safety codes that all must adhere to. When a new occupant moves into an apartment, private house or business, the property must be inspected by a Fire Official.

Elmwood Park’s Fire Official offers a good general reminder for all residents:
Make sure smoke detectors and carbon monoxide alarms are placed in proper areas (in hallway near bedrooms, on first floor away from kitchen, at bottom of stairs of the basement and if there is any storage in attic). Check and change detectors’ batteries at the change of the seasons.

For additional information or concerns about fire safety, call the Fire Official at 201-796-1457 x221.

Fire Prevention Bureau Downloads


Where in Elmwood Park is it?

182 Market Street, Elmwood Park, NJ

Building Department

Building DepartmentConstruction Official / Building Sub-code Official/ : Anthony Ambrogio
Property Maintenance / Plumbing Sub-code Official: James DePadova
Address: Municipal Building, 182 Market Street, Elmwood Park, NJ
Phone: 201-796-1457 x601
Fax: 201-796-0142
Office Hours: Mon-Fri 8:30am-4:30pm; by appointment only between 7:30-8:30am

Plumbing Inspector: Pete Simchera (Mon, Wed 3:30-5pm)
Electric Subcode Official: Joe Dymarczyk (Mon, Wed, Fri 4-6pm)
Electric Inspector: Rocco Comitello (Tues, Thurs 4-6pm)
Fire Subcode / Inspector: Phillip Cheski (consultation during regular business hours available by appointment)


Building Department Reminders

Certificate of Re-Occupancy is required:

  • Every time a new tenant moves in.
  • When a property is sold/purchased.

Grass Height:
Maximum height 8 to 10 inches; violations will be issued. Keep Elmwood Park beautiful!

Recreational Vehicles:
Boats, trailers, etc., - cannot be parked in front of homes, as per Borough ordinance.

Permits: Do I need one?
Don’t trust the contractor or your neighbor – fines are high. If you are ever unsure if you need a permit, call the Building Department at 201-796-4085.

Building Permits

Please call the Building Department to find out if you need a permit for any home improvement project you wish to do. The department welcomes such calls.

Property Maintenance

  • Numbers should be placed on all residences for quicker response in emergencies.
  • Cars should not be parked on front lawns - except when it’s snowing.
  • No car that is uninspected or unregistered or in a state of disrepair or disassembly shall be parked or stored on any property in any residential zone. No car while parked in any unenclosed, off-street parking area or driveway in any residential zone shall be stripped, dismantled or undergo any type of major overhaul, including body work, on jacks, blocks, with or without tires, or is inoperable in its existing condition. It’s the law.

Certificates of Occupancy - Homes and Apartments

When selling your house or renting an apartment, you must obtain a certificate of occupancy from the Building Department.

Illegal 2- or 3-Family Homes

Since everyone must pay their fair share of taxes, the Mayor and Council are aggressively monitoring illegal dwellings. Any known or suspected illegal three- or two-family homes should be reported to the Building Department: 201-796-4085.

Any dwelling found to be an illegal apartment will be subject to a summons and court appearance along with a fine (up to $1,500 for first offense) for the owner of the property.

Landscapers and the Law

Please see that any landscaper you hire is licensed in the Borough. There is a $25 fee for this permit, and you should check with your landscaper to be sure such a permit has been obtained.

Building Department Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Does installing or replacing some sheds, pools or fences in the yard require a permit?
A: Yes.

Q: Does replacing doors or windows with new ones of the EXACT same size require a permit?
A: No, but if you change the rough opening and make it smaller or larger, this DOES require a permit.

Q: Does replacing a hot water heater with a new or used one require a permit?
A: Yes.

Q: Does replacing a driveway on your property require a permit?
A: Yes. If you replace the driveway from your property line across the sidewalk to the curb, then you need an additional permit from the Department of Public Works at Slater Drive.

Q: How come my permit takes so long to get?
A: Some permits are simple and can be issued quickly; others can be more complex and require a longer time for review and research. So, like any project, please plan ahead and hire qualified professional builders and architects that are properly insured and have proven references. Most permits that are issued are good for one year. After receiving your permit and the work is completed, remember to call for final inspection so the permit can be closed out.

Q: What information do I need about contractors?
A: All Contractors who work do work in the Borough not only have to be licensed but also carry public liability insurance and workman’s compensation insurance. Every contractor must register with the Building Department each year and provide a certificate of insurance. There is a fine in the amount of $2,500 if the contractor is found to be unregistered. All residents who are having work done by a contractor should insist on the contractor showing proof of licensing and insurance.

Building Department Downloads

Where in Elmwood Park is it?

182 Market Street, Elmwood Park, NJ

Finance Department

Municipal BuildingCertified Municipal Financial Officer / Treasurer: Roy Riggitano
Address: Municipal Building, 182 Market Street, Elmwood Park, NJ 07407
Phone: 201-796-1457 x216
Fax: 201-796-1612
E-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Hours: Mon-Fri 8:30am-4pm

Purchasing Department: Francie Keating
Address: Municipal Building, 182 Market Street, Elmwood Park, NJ 07407
Phone: 201-796-1457 x218
Fax: 201-796-1365
E-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Hours: Mon-Fri 8:30am-4:30pm


Finance Department Downloads


Where in Elmwood Park is it?

182 Market Street, Elmwood Park, NJ

Municipal Court & Violations Office

Violations BureauCourt Administrator: Deborah Zafonte
Deputy Court Administrator: Stephanie Jacob
Address: Municipal Building, 182 Market Street, Elmwood Park, NJ 07407
Phone: 201-796-1457 x603
Fax: 201-796-8132
Office Hours: Mon-Fri, 8:30am-4pm
Judge: Honorable Anthony Gallina
Prosecutor: Kellie M. Reyes, Esq.; Andrew M. Cimiluca (Alt)
Public Defender: Curt Geisler, Esq.; Jack Zapotoczny




PLEASE NOTE: All requests for discovery must go through the Police Department Records Bureau. Contact the Police Department Records Bureau at 201-796-2095.

The Elmwood Park Municipal Court office is open Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.

Court sessions are every Tuesday at 11:00AM. Internet payment on motor vehicle tickets is available using the Town Code 0211, at


Pay Your Tickets Online

You can pay your motor vehicle summons online at the New Jersey Municipal Courts Direct web site:

Mandatory Court Appearance

If you were issued a summons, and the officer checked either the Court Appearance required box, or the personal injury box on the lower left of the summons, you must appear in Court on the scheduled date. Additionally, certain violations are "non payable" and require an appearance in Court - see the Payable Summons section below.


If you intend to plead Not Guilty to a summons or complaint, you must notify the court at least seven (7) days in advance of the court date. The court date is located near the bottom of the summons (Notice to Appear). You may plead Not Guilty by calling the court. You must supply the court with the following:

  • Summons or Complaint number
  • Any change in address from the one listed on the summons or complaint.


Postponements are not granted after 3:30 PM on the Thursday before a court date.
We will accept "letters of representation" by fax from an attorney up to two hours before court.

Filing Citizen Complaints

Citizen Complaints

To file any complaint with the Elmwood Park Municipal Court the event that prompted the complaint must have occurred within Elmwood Park. If the event that prompted the complaint occurred outside Elmwood Park, the complaint must be filed with the court having jurisdiction at that location.

Complaints involving an act of Domestic Violence can be reported to the Police Department 24 hours a day.

The Municipal Court is not allowed to inquire about, or provide any information regarding the person you are filing the complaint against. That information may be obtained from the Motor Vehicle Commission.

The court is not allowed to provide any legal advice. If you are unsure about what type of complaint, or what offense you want to charge the person with, it is prudent to consult with an attorney before proceeding.

To file any complaint with the Municipal Court, you must submit a completed Affidavit. An Affidavit is a sworn statement of fact. The affidavit describes the event in a factual manner. The affidavit is used to determine probable cause.

"Probable cause is the facts that would lead a person of reasonable Caution to believe that an offense has been committed and that the Person being accused committed the offense."

The procedure for filing both traffic and criminal complaints are similar, but have specific differences.


If you plan to dismiss a complaint, both you and the defendant MUST appear in court. You must come to court on the court date specified and for any date you receive notice to appear.

Community Dispute Resolution Program

The Community Dispute Resolution Program utilizes trained volunteers from the community to mediate minor disputes and may be a helpful way to resolve your problem without relying on the court. Mediation is often the preferred option for cases that involve people with ongoing relationships such as neighbors, friends, relatives, coworkers and others. Mediation is available to every resident of this community.

What is mediation?

Mediation is a structured and confidential form of negotiation which gives you control of the outcome in your case. Negotiation is something you do every day with coworkers, neighbors and family to reach agreements about all types of issues.

In court, you do not decide what happens in your case. The judge, following the law and the strict rules of the court, makes a decision. In mediation, you and the other people in the case negotiate a solution to the conflict.

Your role in mediation

You take an active role in the mediation process. You and the other people directly involved in the problem meet with a panel of trained mediators. The mediators are neutrals who listen impartially to what everyone has to say.

The mediators do not take sides and do not make decisions or judgments about right or wrong. The panel of mediators is there to help you discuss yours needs and differences, and to seek areas of agreement.

The Ground Rules

In order to have a productive exchange of information it is required that you cooperate with the mediator during the session. You and the other party must listen carefully to each other. The list of ground rules you will be expected to follow during the mediation session include:

  • Only one person may speak at a time.
  • Each person will be given a chance to give their explanation of what has happened without interruption. If you feel the need to interrupt while the other person is talking, simply write you thoughts down on the paper provided and you will be given a chance to speak later.
  • The use of name calling, profanity or threats is absolutely prohibited.
  • All things said during the mediation session are confidential. The mediator and the people involved may not discuss the details of the mediation session with others.

The mediator may need to speak with each person separately. These meetings may be helpful in attempting to solve the problems that you and the other people are facing. Anything said during this private meeting or caucus is confidential unless you agree that the information may be shared with the other party.

The Agreement

Once all persons involved in the problem come to an agreement, the mediator will put it in writing and everyone will sign it and receive a copy. The mediators will specify in the agreement that the matter will be held open for a period of 15, 30 or a maximum 60 days.

If there is a breach of the agreement during that time it should be reported to the Court Administrator, who will explain how you should proceed.

If no agreement is reached or the agreement reached is broken

If the case was court referred, the mediator will return it to the court for further formal proceedings. If the agreement is broken you may contact the Court Administrator to determine what further action should be taken. If you have not gone to court, you may wish to file a complaint with the Court Administrator. The mediator can answer you questions about that next step.


Warrants are issued under certain circumstances. They are usually issued when an individual violates an order of the Court, an individual fails to appear in court, or as part of a Criminal Complaint.

Issuance of Warrants. R7:2-2(b)

A summons rather than arrest warrant shall be issued if the defendant is a corporation, partnership or unincorporated association. If the defendant is an individual, a summons rather than a warrant shall issue unless the judge or duly authorized Municipal Court Administrator or Deputy Court Administrator finds that:

1. The defendant has failed to respond to a summons; or
2. There is reason to believe that the defendant is dangerous to himself or herself, to others, or to property; or
3. There is one or more outstanding arrest warrants for the defendant; or
4. The address of the defendant is not known, and the arrest warrant is necessary to subject the defendant to the jurisdiction of the Court; or
5. The defendant cannot be satisfactorily identified; or
6. There is reason to believe that the defendant will not appear in response to the summons.

Failure to Appear after Summons. R 7:2-2(c)

If a defendant who has been served with a summons fails to appear on the return date, an arrest warrant may be issued pursuant to law and rule 7:8-9.

Procedures on Failure to Appear. Rule 7:8-9(a)

If a defendant is any case before the court fails to appear or answer a complaint, the court may either issue a warrant for the defendant’s arrest in accordance with R 7:2-2(c) or issue and mail a failure to appear notice to the defendant on a form approved by the Administrative Director of the Courts.

If a failure to appear notice is mailed to the defendant and the defendant fails to comply with the provisions, a warrant may be issued in accordance with R 7:2-2(c).
Driving Privileges, Report to Motor Vehicle Commission. Rule 7:9-9 (b) (1)

Non-Parking Motor Vehicle Cases. If the court has not issued an arrest warrant upon the failure of the defendant to comply with the courts failure to appear notice, the court shall report the failure to appear or answer to the Division of Motor Vehicles on a form approved by the Administrative Director of the Courts within 30 days of the defendant’s failure to appear.

If the Court elects, however, to issue an arrest warrant, it may simultaneously report the failure to answer to the Motor Vehicle Commission on a form approved by the Administrative Director of the Courts.

Driving Privileges, Report to Motor Vehicle Commission Rule 7:8-9 (b) (2)

All Other Cases. In all other cases, whether or not an arrest warrant is issued, the Court may order the suspension of the defendant’s driving privileges or the defendant’s non resident, reciprocity privileges or prohibit the person from receiving or obtaining driving privileges until the matter is adjudicated, or otherwise disposed of.

Summons Payment

Summonses may be satisfied, if a mandatory court appearance is not required, either through the mail or online.

Mail Payment of a Summons

Send the amount required to satisfy the summons (see schedule) to the above address, If you want a receipt, include a stamped self addressed envelope with your payment. Please write the summons or complaint number in the memo section of your check or money order.

Mail Payment of a Warrant

If an active arrest warrant has been issued, and would like to satisfy the Warrant by mail you must:

  • Provide payment to satisfy the warrant. Please write the warrant number in the memo section of your check or money order.
  • Submit a completed, signed Bail Waiver. Mail the payment and the bail waiver to the above address. If you would like a receipt, include a stamped self-addressed envelope. When payment is received the warrant will be recalled and the summons will be satisfied, if it is for a payable offense. If the warrant is for a non-payable offense, please contact the court for instructions.

Summons or Complaint Numbers

The Traffic Summons Number is located at the top left front of your summons and is preceded either by the letter C or SP with a number (ex: SP3). Summonses issued by the NJ State Police have the SP# prefix.

Summons Number Examples
0211 C 000000

0211 SP3 000000

Summonses or Complaints issued by the NJ Transit Police or town ordinances are preceded by TP or SC.
If you have received a criminal complaint, the number is located on the top right and starts with an S or W followed by the year, complaint number and court code (example: W-2003-000999 0211).

On Line (Electronic) Payment of a Summons

You may pay traffic summonses on the web by using your credit card. You can also look up court dates at

To satisfy a summons electronically, you will need the summons number (above, the information in all three boxes at the top left front of the summons) and the license plate number of the vehicle from the summons.

Public Access & Right to Know

Public Access to Court Records
Right to Know Law, N.J.S.A. 47:1A-1, et seq.

Judicial records are not within the scope of the Right to Know Law. The judiciary is bound by Court Rule 1:38.

Court Rule 1:38 reads in part:

All records which are required to be made, maintained or kept on file by an court, office, or official within the judicial branch of government shall be deemed a public record and shall be available for public inspection and copying, as provided by law, except:

  • Personnel and pension records
  • Records required by statute or rule to be kept confidential or withheld from indiscriminate public inspection.
  • Records ordered by a court to be impounded or kept confidential.
  • Records of pre trial intervention programs
  • Records of programs approved for operation under Rule 7:8-1 (mediation of minor disputes)
  • Administrative reports required to be prepared by the Municipal Court Judges under Rule 1:32

Access to records involving Domestic Violence can be determined only by the Judge.

Access to Court Records

Reasonable Access to Court Records is determined by the Court using the following factors:

  • Court size
  • Volume of cases
  • Staff
  • Available resources
  • Budget
  • Existence of records.

Access to records is available only by approval by the court administrator via telephone call or in writing.
If court staff determines a record is not available for public access, an appeal may be made in writing to Judge Anthony Gallina, JMC at the Elmwood Park Municipal Court, 182 Market Street, Elmwood Park, NJ 07407.

Docket Books

Due to the possibility of Expunged records being readable, the court reserves the right to make some pages of the Docket Book "sealed" unless the record can be completely eradicated. Docket Books may be read, but we have no method of making copies of these pages, you must hand copy the information.

Computer Based Records

Computer based records are available only in formats presently available from the ATS/ACS system. The Administrative Office of the Courts will not design programs or reports for specific requested information.

Retention Periods

Some records may not be available because they are beyond the retention period allowed by the Administrative Office of the Courts. The retention period is from the date of final action on the case. Some retention periods are:
Court Calendars 2 years Criminal 6 years
Traffic Summons
Sound Recordings 5 years (DWI) 15 years
Traffic Summons 6 years (non DWI)

Representing Yourself in Court


Try to get a lawyer

The court system can be complicated and confusing. If you cannot afford a lawyer or do not know how to go about finding a lawyer you can:

  • Call the New Jersey Attorney Referral Office in your county, or
  • Ask any of the New Jersey Bar Associations for the names of lawyers who may be able to represent you at a reduced price.

NOTE: If you believe you quality for a court appointed attorney, ask the court staff at either the Municipal or Superior Court for more information. The court staff can provide the form needed to apply for a public defender.

What you should expect if you represent yourself

While you have the right to represent yourself in court, you should not expect any special treatment, help, or attention from the court. The following is a list of some things the court staff can and cannot do for you. Please read it carefully before asking the court staff for help.

• We can explain and answer questions about how the court works.
• We can tell you what the requirements are to have you case considered by the court.
• We can give you some information from your case file.
• We can provide you with samples of court forms that are available.
• We can provide you with guidance on how to fill out forms.
• We can usually answer questions about court deadlines.
• We cannot give you legal advice. Only a lawyer can give you legal advice.
• We cannot tell you whether or not you should bring your case to court.
• We cannot give you an opinion about what will happen if you bring your case to court.
• We cannot recommend a lawyer, but
• We can provide you with the telephone number of a local lawyer referral service.
• We cannot talk to the judge for you about what will happen in your case.
• We cannot let you talk to the judge outside of court.
• We cannot change an order issued by the judge.

If you decide to represent yourself for an appeal of a decision of the judge, please see a member of the court staff for an appeal packet.

Court Procedures

The following procedures shall be observed in regards to your summons or complaint.

• Please check the calendar (listing on the wall outside the court room) to make sure your scheduled to appear on that night.
• Every person must speak to the prosecutor before seeing the judge. Once you have entered the court room, you must stand in line to see the prosecutor.
• If you are pleading Not Guilty to a summons or complaint and have not notified the court seven workdays in advance your case will not be heard during this court session.

Please leave the court and call 201-797-6100 the following day to plead not guilty.

• At the beginning of the court the judge will advise you of your rights.

Please pay close attention to these rights. If you do not understand them, you may ask for clarification at the time your case is being heard.

• Court cases are usually heard in the following order:

1. Cases with attorneys
2. Guilty pleas
3. Negotiated settlements
4. Trials (not guilty cases)

• If you intend to ask for a public defender you must meet one of the following qualifications:

1. You are subject to lose your driving privileges, and/or
2. You are subject to incarceration in jail, and/or
3. You are subject to the imposition of a significant fine.

• If you are found guilty and are assessed fines and costs by the judge, you are expected to pay those fines and costs before leaving the court.

• If for some reason you cannot pay the entire amount of your fines and costs, you must fill out an indigence form and have it reviewed by the judge to set up a payment plan.
1. If you fall behind in the payments the court will forward a notice to the Motor Vehicle Commission requesting revocation of your driving privileges.

• The restoration fee, to restore your driving privileges is $100.00
• Restoration of your driving privileges will only be granted when the time payment is fully paid.
• All time payments are a contract with the court, and are subject to acceptance by the judge.

Payable Summonses

The State of New Jersey changed the penalties for violations of Title 39, the statutes pertaining to motor vehicles in early 2004.

The most recent penalties are as follows:

Failure to report name change - $54
Credentials not in possession - $180
Unclear Plates - $54
Unsafe Vehicle - $54
Lights/Wipers during rain - $54
Maintenance of Lamps - $54
Failure to wear seatbelt - $46
Failure to inspect - $130
Traffic Signal Violation - $85
Failure to keep right - $85
Improper Passing - $85
Speeding - $85-$260
Careless Driving - $85
Parking (NJ State violation) - $54
Handicapped Parking - mandatory court appearance
Parking (town ordinance) - $27
Driving while suspended - mandatory court appearance
Driving while intoxicated - mandatory court appearance
Uninsured motor vehicle - mandatory court appearance

All summonses are subject to an additional penalty of $10.00 if the fine is not paid by the court date.

If the summons has not been satisfied by the court date on the summons, a Failure to Appear (FTA) Notice will be issued. Failure to respond to an ETA notice may resulting the issuance of a warrant for your arrest. In addition to the warrant being issued, your driving privileges may be suspended in the State of New Jersey.

Penalty for the issuance of a warrant is $25.00.


Inquiries about points should not be made through the municipal court. The courts do not asses points, they are assessed by the Motor Vehicle Commission. Points, surcharges, etc. are listed on the NJ Motor Vehicle Commission web site.

Municipal Court Forms

Where is Court Held?

182 Market Street, Elmwood Park, NJ

Tax Assessor's Office

Tax Assessor's OfficeTax Assessor: Kevin Esposito
Address: Municipal Building, 182 Market Street, Elmwood Park, NJ 07407
Phone: 201-796-1457 x605
Fax: 201-796-1694
E-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Office Hours: Mon-Fri, 9am-12pm
Mr. Esposito's Hours: Wed 8:30am-12pm; Thurs 3:30-6pm by Appointment ONLY

Tax Appeals

The following information was developed by the Bergen County Board of Taxation to assist taxpayers in properly preparing for tax appeal hearings. It includes general information derived from New Jersey laws which govern tax appeals: Administrative Code Title 18:12 and New Jersey Statutes Titles 54:3 et seq and 54:4 et seq.

The Bergen County Board of Taxation recognizes recent changes in the appeal process have made procedures more complex. This presentation was developed as an aid to the property owner, but it should not be considered as an all inclusive guide. Most importantly, it is essential taxpayers understand they must prove their assessment is unreasonable compared to a market value standard. Your current assessment is by law assumed to be correct. You must overcome this presumption of correctness to result in an assessment change.

What is the basis for my assessment?

In order for an assessment to be deemed excessive or discriminatory, a taxpayer must prove an assessment does not fairly represent one of the two standards:

  • Following a revaluation, all assessments must represent 100% of true market value as of the previous October 1. The October 1 pre-tax date is called the annual assessment date. All evidence submitted in a tax appeal must be on or near the assessment date, especially property sales used as comparables.
  • The other standard is the common level or common level range established in your municipality. To explain the common level range you must consider what happens following a revaluation. or reassessment. Once a revaluation or reassessment is completed, external factors such as inflation, appreciation, and depreciation may cause values to increase or decrease at varying rates.

Other factors such as physical deterioration may contribute to changes in property values. Obviously, if assessments are not adjusted annually, a deviation from 100% of true market value will occur.

The State Division of Taxation annually conducts a fiscal year sales survey, investigating most property transfers that occur in your community, with your local assessor assisting. Every sale is compared individually to every assessment to determine an average level of assessment in a municipality. An average ratio is developed from a sampling of property sales to represent the assessment level in your community. In any year, except the year a revaluation or reassessment is implemented, the common level of assessment is the average ratio of the district in which your property is situated and is used by the Tax Board to determine the fairness of your assessment. The sales ratios are reviewed inter and intra for each municipality.

How do I know if my assessment is fair?

The New Jersey Legislation adopted a formula known as Chapter 123 in 1973 to test the fairness of an assessment. Once the Tax Board has determined the true market value of a property during an appeal, they are required to automatically compare the true market value to the assessment. If the ratio of the assessment to the true value exceeds the average ratio by 15%, then the assessment is automatically reduced to the common level. However, if the assessment falls within this common level range, no adjustment will be made. If the assessment to true value ratio falls below the common level, the Tax Board is obligated to increase the assessment to the common level. This test assumes the taxpayer will supply sufficient evidence to the Tax Board so they may determine the true market value of the property subject to the appeal. You should inquire into your district's average ratio before filing a tax appeal. This ratio changes annually on October 1, for use in the subsequent tax year.

What is a tax appeal hearing and who will hear my appeal?

Once you have filed your tax appeal, a hearing before the Bergen County Tax Board is scheduled. The Bergen County Board consists of 5 members appointed by the governor. The Tax Board Commissioners are appointed primarily to hear disputes involving assessments. The municipality is the opposing party and will be represented by the municipal attorney. The assessor and/or an appraiser may appear at your hearing as an expert witness for the municipality.

Is a hearing always necessary?

A hearing is always necessary. If the assessor, municipal attorney, and the taxpayer agree to a settlement or the issues are otherwise resolved, it may not be necessary for you to attend your hearing, particularly if a settlement stipulation form is submitted to the Tax Board for their approval.

When are the tax appeal hearings held?

Tax appeal hearings are generally held after the April 1 annual deadline. Adjournments are generally denied. It is suggested that you make every attempt to attend your hearing. If you miss your hearing and have not received a written notice postponing your case, you may assume the case has been dismissed. If you do not attend your hearing, your case will be dismissed for lack of prosecution.

What is good evidence to convince the Tax Board to reconsider an assessment?

You cannot appeal the taxes on your property since the taxes are the result of the local budget process. You must pay the collector all taxes and municipal charges up to and including the first quarter of the tax year. Remember, the burden is on you, the appellant, to prove your assessment is unreasonable, excessive, or discriminatory. It is necessary for you to prove at the onset that your assessment is in error. It is also necessary for you to suggest a more appropriate value.

The taxpayer must be persuasive and present credible evidence. Credible evidence is evidence supported by fact, not assumptions or beliefs. Photographs of both the subject property (the property subject to the appeal) and comparables are useful in illustrating your argument. Factual evidence concerning special circumstances is necessary. For example, if the property cannot be further developed for some reason, evidence must be provided.

The most credible evidence is recent comparable sales of other properties of a similar type in your neighborhood. Remember, if you are going to discuss comparable sales, not less than three comparable sales shall be submitted to the Assessor, Clerk, and County Tax Board, not less than one week prior to the hearing if not included with the petition of appeal. Sales of all properties (SR-1A's) are available for your review at the County Tax Board. Comparable means most of the characteristics of your property and the neighboring sale is similar. You should be knowledgeable of the conditions of the sales you cite including financing and be able to give a full description of the properties. Some of the characteristics making your property comparable are: recent sale price, similar square footage of living area measured from the exterior, similar lot size or acreage, proximity to your property, the same zoning use (e.g. duplex in a duplex zone), and similar age and style of structure, etc.

If the property was recently purchased, how is this purchase considered?

An assessment is an opinion of value. Uniformity of treatment dictates minor adjustments are not made simply due to a recent sales price. For various other reasons the subject's sales price may not necessarily be either conclusive evidence of the property's true market value, or binding upon the Tax Board. An examination of the circumstances surrounding a sale is always important.

Will the appeal be private?

No. All meetings of the Board of Taxation are public meetings.

Are there special rules for commercial properties?

Yes. Owners of rental income properties must supply an income statement at the time of filing on special forms provided by the Tax Board. Since the income generated by a property has a direct bearing on the owner's ability to market the property, and therefore its value, this evidence may be useful in arguing both sides of an appeal.

Who is an expert witness?

Besides your municipal assessor, anyone whose occupation is a real estate appraiser, and whose designation as such is from a legitimate association of professionals, is considered an expert. An expert's qualifications may be challenged by the municipal attorney at the hearing.

In addition, if you intend to rely on expert testimony at your hearing, you must supply one copy of an appraisal report to the assessor, and one copy to every member of the County Tax Board and Tax Administrator at least 7 days in advance of the scheduled hearing. The appraiser who completed the report must be available at the hearing to give testimony and to afford the municipality and Tax Board an opportunity to cross-examine the witness.

May I further appeal the judgment of the Tax Board if I am still dissatisfied?

If you are dissatisfied with the judgment rendered by the Tax Board, you will have 45 days from the date your judgment was mailed to file a further appeal with the Tax Court of New Jersey. If your property is assessed for more than $750,000, you may file directly with the Tax Court by April 1st annually.

In Summary

A taxpayer filing an appeal should consider the following questions.

  1. What was the market value of my property of the pretax year?
  2. Can I support my conclusion of market value with credible evidence?
  3. Is my property assessed in excess of its market value if a reassessment/revaluation was implemented in the current tax year? If a revaluation/reassessment was not implemented, does my assessment exceed market value or does the ratio of my property assessment to its market value exceed the upper limit of the common level range?

For additional information, or to request tax forms, call the Bergen County Board of Taxation at 201-336-6300 or write:

Bergen County Board of Taxation
Administration Building
One Bergen
County Plaza, Room 370
Hackensack, NJ 07601-7000

Visit the Bergen County Board of Taxation's web site at

Property Tax Forms


Where in Elmwood Park is it?

182 Market Street, Elmwood Park, NJ

Tax Collector's Office

Tax Collector's OfficeTax Collector: Roy Riggitano
Address: Municipal Building, 182 Market Street, Elmwood Park, NJ 07407
Phone: 201-796-1457 x602
Fax: 201-796-1612
E-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Hours: Mon-Fri, 8:30am-4pm

Division of Taxation's Property Tax Relief Program:

Paying Your Property Taxes

Taxes are payable in person or by mail quarterly: February 1, May 1, August 1, & November 1.

Property Tax Forms

Where in Elmwood Park is it?

182 Market Street, Elmwood Park, NJ

Department of Public Works

Department of Public WorksSuperintendent: Scott Karcz
Recycling Coordinator: Joan Pinnola
Mailing Address: Municipal Building, 182 Market Street, Elmwood Park, NJ 07407
Phone: 201-796-1009
Recycling Phone: 201-796-1457 x400
Fax: 201-796-8992
E-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Hours: Mon-Fri, 7am-3:30pm

The Waste Watchers Handbook

All information on Garbage Collection, Recycling Procedures & Collection, and Grass, Leaves & Yard Waste are contained within the Waste Watchers Handbook.

Pick-Up Districts for Recycling and DPW Pick-Up

Section 1: Monday (From Kipp Avenue to Route 80, west of Boulevard to River Drive)

Section 2: Tuesday (From Dye Avenue to Gilbert Avenue, east of Boulevard to railroad tracks, including all of Cherry Hill)

Section 3: Wednesday (From Route 80 to Route 4, west of Boulevard to River Drive)

Section 4: Thursday (Rosemont Section and Route 4 to Washington Avenue, east of Boulevard to Railroad tracks)

Recycle Coach

Click here for Recycle Coach

Snow Removal Tips

Every year we all remove snow from our driveways, and then snow plows come by and block us in again. This problem can never be completely eliminated, but there are some smart suggestions to help minimize frustration after winter snow storms. Please follow these guidelines:

Park cars off the street during snowfall. When snow is falling, be sure to remove your cars from streets designated for no parking during snow. Failure to do so can result in a $150 fine. Cars should be removed from all other streets, too. Think and plan ahead the day or night before expected snowfall. When snow is on the way, get ALL vehicles off the street. Park vehicles so the first one that has to get out is the last vehicle parked in the driveway. Doing this will give you less snow to remove.

Clear snow properly. When removing snow, always pile snow behind the curb (see areas marked "O.K." in illustration below). Driveway snow should be piled on the upper side of the driveway (the side the D.P.W. snow plow reaches last).

NEVER throw snow in the road. This only assures you that the plows will plow the snow back in your driveway. If the plow has already cleared your street, you can receive a summons for putting snow back in the roadway. When hiring someone to do your snow removal, suggest that they do it the proper way.

access to fire hydrants

Do not drive unless absolutely necessary. Any form of traffic complicates plowing. If you must drive, be sure your car is ready for winter driving.

Do not call the Public Works Department unless absolutely necessary. D.P.W. workers have over 50 miles of streets to plow and this takes time.

Smart Snow Management:

  1. Think and plan ahead.
  2. Get all vehicles off the street.
  3. Park them in order of departure.
  4. Pile snow behind the curb.
  5. Take it easy.

Where in Elmwood Park is it?

182 Market Street, Elmwood Park, NJ

Page 1 of 2

click for Coronavirus information

click for town demographics and information
Looking for demographics or other information on Elmwood Park? Want to start a business here? Click above to get details.

click to register for recreation events & programs online

click for Annual Water Report

click to pay your tickets online

Autism/Special Needs Awareness

Junior Police Academy

"Like" Us On Facebook

Follow Us On Twitter

Follow us on Twitter

Weather Forecast

Calendar At A Glance

July 2020
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31

Upcoming Events

Download Directory

Contact Us

Address: 182 Market Street, Elmwood Park, NJ 07407

Connect With Us

We're on social networks. Follow us & get in touch.

Register for E-Mail Updates

Log in if you already have an account, or register to receive e-mail notifications of news & announcements posted to the site.