There are downloadable brochures and/or documents available online regarding marriage licenses - please visit http://healthapps.state.nj.us/forms/index.aspx#reg-77 to access a REG-77 (Marriage Application). Please do not fill out page two as that should be done in the presence of the Registrar.
Appointments are required for the application process. Appointments are taken between the hours of 10:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. Monday through Friday. Please call 201-796-1457 ext. 600 to make an appointment.
What you should bring with you when you apply for your marriage license
- If you are divorced or have had your marriage annulled, bring the divorce decree or the civil annulment documents.
- Death certificate, if your former spouse is deceased.
- A copy of your birth certificate, drivers license, passport or state I.D.
- Proof of your residency.
- Your social security card or social security number, as per NJSA 37:1-17.
- A witness (18 years or older) who knows both applicants.
- A $28.00 fee is due and payable by check or money order only.
- The date of the ceremony along with the person's name and address who is officiating the ceremony is also needed at the time of the application process.
Your social security number is not subject to Right to Know laws and will be kept confidential.
If any documents are in a foreign language they must be accompanied by an English translation.
Where application shall be made:
- If the applicants are residents of New Jersey, they can apply in the municipality where either one resides.
- If neither are residents of New Jersey, the application is to be taken in the municipality where the marriage is to be performed.
Do not sign the marriage application prior to going to the Municipal Registrar. You must sign the application, while under oath, in the presence of the issuing authority.
There is a 72 hour waiting period between the filing of the application and the issuance of the license. This 72-hour waiting period begins at the time the application is filed with the Local Registrar.
The marriage application is valid for six months from the date accepted, unless the registrar has granted prior approval to extend the validity of the application to a maximum of one year. Only one marriage license may be granted from a marriage application, if the license expires prior to being used a new application must be made. The only exception to this requirement is in the case where a civil and religious ceremony are to be performed on the same day. In this case, photocopy the marriage application marking one "A" and one "B", issue the corresponding marriages licenses, marking them "A" and "B" as well.
Health Department Downloads
Where in Elmwood Park is it?
182 Market Street, Elmwood Park, NJ