IMPORTANT NOTICE REGARDING VOTER REGISTRATION: If you are not registered, have changed your name, or moved from one district to another, please call the Municipal Clerk's Office. Registration books are closed 21 days before each election; therefore, to vote you must register before that time.
Registering to Vote
Who can register
To register to vote you must be:
- a US citizen;
- at least 18 years old on or before the next election; and
- residing at your present address for at least 30 days.
You are not eligible to register or vote if you are on parole or probation, or if you are serving a prison sentence for violating State or Federal law.
Where to register
Applications for registration can be obtained from the Borough Clerk's Office, or from the Commissioner of Registration office in Bergen County (see address below). Registration forms are also available in various State agencies and at Division of Motor Vehicle offices and can be obtained while transacting agency business. You can also print out a registration form below and after entering the required data, mail it to the Bergen County Commissioner of Registration:
Then deliver your completed Voter Registration Form to:
Superintendent of Elections & Commissioner of Registration
One Bergen County Plaza, Room 380
Hackensack, NJ 07601-7076
When & Where to Vote in Elmwood Park
The polls are open for the Primary Election and the General Election from 6:00 a.m. until 8:00 p.m. Polling locations for the election districts in Elmwood Park are as follows:
|1||Municipal Building, Market Street - All Purpose Room|
|2||Fire Co. #1, Grove Street|
|3||Memorial High School, River Drive - Lobby|
|4||Memorial High School, River Drive - Lobby|
|5||Fire Co. #2, Parkview Avenue|
|6||16th Ave. School, 16th Avenue - Gym|
|7||16th Ave. School, 16th Avenue - Gym|
|8||Fire Co. #4, Van Riper & Boulevard|
|9||Recreation Complex, Boulevard - Senior Lounge|
|10||Gantner Ave. School, Gantner & Roosevelt Aves. - Gym|
Vote by Mail Ballot
Schedule of Elections
Primary Elections are ordinarily held on the first Tuesday after the first Monday in June. The primary is held to nominate party candidates for the General Election and to elect party members of the State and County Committees and Delegates and Alternate Delegates to the National Conventions in Presidential Election years. Polls for Primary Elections are open from 6:00 am to 8:00 pm.
General Elections are held on the first Tuesday after the first Monday in November to elect various National, State, County and Municipal officials to office. Polls for General Elections are open from 6:00 am to 8:00 pm.
Special Elections may be held at various times throughout the year, but generally on a Tuesday. Notification of such elections is advertised in your local newspaper.
Dates to remember in 2019
- April 1 - Candidate nominating petition filing deadline for June 4th Primary Election (must be filed no later than 4:00 p.m.)
- April 10 - Last day to change parties in order to be eligible to vote in that Party in the Primary Election of June 4, 2019
- May 14 - Last day to register to vote in the June 7th Primary Election
- May 28 - Last day to apply for an Application for Vote by Mail Ballot for the June 7th Primary Election
- June 2 - Last day to apply for an Application for Vote by Mail Ballot at the County in person for the June 7th Primary Election
- June 4 - Candidate nominating petition filing deadline for Independent Candidates and School Board Candidates - petitions filed directly with the County Clerk in Hackensack
- June 4 - Primary Election Day - voting hours 6:00 a.m. until 8:00 p.m. Registered Democrats must vote Democratic. Registered Republicans must vote Republican. Unaffiliated voters must declare which party they want to vote for at the polls. If an Unaffiliated voter wishes to go back to Unaffiliated after the Primary Election, a form must be filled out no later than 57 days before the next Primary Election (contact Borough Clerk's Office at 201-796-1457ext. 202 if you have any questions). There is no crossover voting in New Jersey on Primary Elections.
- October 15 - Last day to register to vote in the November 5th General Election
- October 29 - Last day to apply for an Application for Vote by Mail Ballot for the November 5th General Election
- November 4 - Last day to apply for an Application for Vote by Mail Ballot at the County in person for the November 5th General Election
- November 5 - General Election Day - includes School Board Candidates - voting hours 6:00 a.m. until 8:00 p.m.
PLEASE NOTE: School Board Elections are now held on the General Election Day of November 5, 2019.