This is to advise of a future vacancy for the above referenced part-time position in the Elmwood Park Police Department. A Police Communications Dispatcher is responsible for receiving and transmitting pure and reliable messages, and recording other important information. They receive calls from individuals who need assistance from first responders. Once information is obtained from the caller, dispatchers activate the services necessary to respond to the nature of the call for help.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Interested candidates must possess the ability to perform all duties by the Police Department such as but not limited to:
* Answering all incoming calls, administrative as well as emergency, and soliciting essential information from callers in order to appropriately handle each call.
* Dispatching, coordinating, and monitoring radio communications for Officers, other law enforcement, emergency situations, and/or public safety personnel.
* Monitoring officer status, to include periodic checks on field personnel.
* Accessing information from and disseminating information to local, state, and federal law enforcement agencies via the National Crime Information Center (NCIC) system.
* Receiving and responding to alarms programmed to call this agency.
* Obtaining and providing information needed by field personnel.
* Candidates shall possess a valid New Jersey driver’s license. Candidates must possess Basic Telecommunication and 911 Officer and Emergency Medical Dispatch certifications.
* Candidates will be required to work at least 25 to 29 hours per week. The candidate may be required to work a variety of flexible hours between 7am 7pm depending on the needs of the agency. This includes weekdays, weekends and holidays.
* Candidates must possess a High School diploma or equivalent.
* The right candidate is highly motivated, well organized self-directed professional who embraces new challenges and collaborates well with team members, accepts responsibility and sees assignments to completion; exhibits excellent oral and written communication skills. The candidate will be privy to highly confidential matters and transactions and must display the utmost discretion and professionalism.
* Ability to understand and follow complex instructions, manage multiple tasks and work effectively under stress and with interruptions, within deadlines and with change in work priority.